The African Lion Working Group is affiliated with the Cat Specialist Group of the International Union for the Conservation (IUCN) of Nature/Species Survival Commission.
the promotion of comprehensive, scientifically based conservation strategies for all free roaming lion populations in Africa
ALWG's aims are to:
- Provide a forum for discussion and debate regarding lion conservation and relevant research matters, and act as a communication and networking portal.
- Circulate factual, scientifically based information to managers, politicians, non-government organizations and the general public.
- Support individuals who are conducting research on lions and who are working in Africa towards the conservation and management of free roaming lion populations in accordance with IUCN principles.
- Promote the development and maintenance of comprehensive management strategies and plans for all lion populations in Africa.
- Work with stakeholder groups within the framework of ALWG policy.
- Seek assistance from its affiliate organisations and any other credible organisation, if required, to support its recommendations.